Sunday, January 23, 2011

Sunday Hike Replaces Nap

This time last year I took a two to four hour nap on Sunday afternoons. The Sunday hike has replaced the Sunday nap! Today I hiked three miles at Ruffner Mountain. It felt great! In January the trees stand naked and you can see Irondale off one side of the mountain and Birmingham Airport off the other. The leaves are softer under foot from rain and age so the walk is quiet enough to hear birds and train whistles. 

There were several folks on the trails today - families, couples, runners, meandering toddlers and dogs on leash. It was a bit muddy thus I brought home a good deal of Ruffner clay in the grooves of my hiking boots. But I like having dirt from various trails on my boots. You'll often hear me say which trail a certain stain or scuff mark came from.

Two weeks from today - another hiking trip on my calendar. What about a hike?

Ruffner Mountain

Veteran's Park Nature Trails

Vulcan Trail Association

No comments: